2.08.2009

Identity Thieves?

You know who you are. Less than 24 hours ago I dropped my wallet in WalMart, and you are the one(s) who found it. I haven't heard from you, despite the fact that my ID was in that wallet and you could have found my phone number and called me.

Or you could have turned it in to the manager at WalMart, or to a police officer. A police report was filed on the missing wallet and every piece of identification it contained. And the dollar--you can keep that, by the way.

By now you know the Mastercard is useless to you because I called the credit union and had it closed, permanently. The credit bureaus have been notified to place a fraud alert on my credit report, so if you thought about using my ID to get credit, forget it. The DMV has also been notified that my driver license was in the missing wallet. Tomorrow morning I'll call New York state to notify them my health insurance card was stolen, in case you're thinking of selling it to someone out of state. That Gold's NYC gym membership card--the membership was closed already, so it won't do you any good. Neither will the New York Public Library card, since you don't know my password. Security's tight in the Big Apple. And those keys won't open anything of value. They're generic padlock keys and I have duplicates.


Tomorrow morning the Board of Elections will hear from me that my identification card is lost and/or stolen, as will the Social Security Administration. I have other documentation to prove my identity, so if you're thinking of using it, better think twice.

If, however, you're honest and a good samaritan, you'll return my wallet and identification.
No doubt you've noticed my current address on my voter ID card. You could simply drop the wallet and its contents off at that address. Just leave it at the front desk. Nobody will ask you any questions.

Except this one: Do you believe in Karma? Well, do ya?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

United Nations NGO event in New York City Tomorrow - “Violence Against Minority Women & Girls In Bangladesh”

United Nations NGO Parallel Events 2009 - CSW 53 (The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY)

“Violence Against Minority Women & Girls In Bangladesh”

Panel Discussion organized by:

Human Rights Congress for Bangladesh Minorities (HRCBM)

Location: Church Bldg., 777 UN Plaza, 8th Floor, NY, NY 11007

(First Avenue between 43rd and 44th street)

Date: Friday, March 6th, 2009 (Tomorrow)

Time: 10 AM to 11:30 AM

Although violence against women and girls is prevalent in Bangladesh, women from Hindu, Buddhist and other religious minorities are increasingly subjected to brutal gang rape and religious hate crime. Victims often complain of state sponsored apathy in applying stringent domestic law to protect women and girls in the minority community. That coupled with lack of International legal instruments to bring offenders to justice, minority women and girls, those who are victim of hate crime in Bangladesh, often suffer from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Despite HRCBM’s continued effort to help bring justice, the organization faces strong opposition from some of the governmental and non governmental entities. Therefore, it has become apparent that the organization initiates the discussion on the need for International Rights Instruments to protect the women and the children without prejudice.

Session Moderator: Dr. Ratna Karmakar

Speakers

1. Utsav Chakrabarti

2. Sachin Karmakar

3. Bidyut Das

4. Venerable Bimal Bhikkhu, Buddhist Monk

5. Prof. Sabyasachi G. Dastidar

6. Dr. Sandhya Chakrabarti

7. Dr. Monorama Biswas

8. Ishani Chowdhury

9. Dr. Anu Bose

http://www.hrcbm.org

Ph: 212-592-3627

Fax: 619-330-0662

To download a flyer for this event, visit: http://hrcbm.blogspot.com/ . Click on the flyer to enlarge or download it.